Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Week one work. post 1

I’ve read a good chunk of this book so far and one thing I find interesting is how un interesting the main

character is. Sonny is no different than any typical teenager if he didn’t have this freedom to go where he

pleases almost whenever he wants. The book itself is a very easy read but the even after the first one

 hundred pages I’ve yet to care about the protagonist, he’s just a cliché  child with a stepfather.  Although I

might just be bitter towards this novel because the first person perspective and troubled teen reminds me of

one of my all time favorite book The Catcher in the Rye.

Holden Caulfield just had a charm and edge that Sonny is lacking. The book itself is written with fragments

 run on sentences and it just feels lazy to me. If I wanted to read about a teenager complaining I would just

 read one of my sister’s old journals. Perhaps this all just because Sonny lives in a very modern world while

 Holden runs around in 1949. Both books were made to sound as if a teen wrote it I guess.

What makes this coming of age story stand out? I’m going to finish this book and hopefully Sonny grows on

me and makes this book stand out from anything that I’ve read prior.

No comments:

Post a Comment